Remember this great song from that awesome movie Fight Club? Wow, too much, man. The footage in this video is from another great movie, Trainspotting, which unfortunately I have not yet seen!
Pixies, a great late 80’s-90’s band. Described as Alternative, but I always thought they had a punk sound about them. Oh well, let’s call it post-punk and make it a day, ok? From their first album in 1988, Surfer Rosa. I think I remember hearing them for the first time in the early 90’s. See? Now here I am, nostalgic for the Goddamned 1990’s! WTH.
It must have been that great music. Couldn’t have been much else. Bill Clinton was president busy trying to be a Republican and triangulating his way to compromise after compromise with the Republicans. The decade when this clown issues his famous last words, “The era of big government is over” and “This is the end of welfare as we know it.” Remember NAFTA?
Obligatory political rant having nothing whatsoever to do with the video as usual follows:
Sometimes I think the best propagandists for Republicans are Democrats. The Republicans are always screaming, “The Democrats are stealing our ideas!” I agree that’s disgusting, but from the Republicans’ point of view, why does it matter, other than for vanity? I don’t get it. They’ve always got to be in the limelight?
The US of course wrote the book on shitty politics. And the way this particular atrocity of shitty politics goes is:
- Republicans come up with some awful, shitty, and ultimately sad idea.
- They pound it into the peoples’ head, Goebbels-style for however long it takes until habituation is achieved and the people salivate when the year the Republican bell sound.
- Democrats come along and decide that the reason they are losing is because they don’t act like Republicans enough. Yeah I know? Dumb or what?
- The living abortion called the DNC is spawned from Satan. Their motto, “We’re just like the Republicans, only cooler and not as square! We’re Number 2. We try harder. But please vote for us anyway. Vote for us, the fake Republicans. Please don’t be fooled and vote for the real deal.”
- Democrat achieves Presidency back when we had fair elections.
- Rightwing hate-storm steams up.
- Democrat spends four years denying he’s a Democrat and insisting he’s really a Republican after all. Takes a bunch of the Republicans worst Big Lies, whittles them down a bit, draws cute things on them, and gaslights us by call them niceness and liberalism, and then actually implements these atrocities.
- Then in the mid-terms the people decide that if there’s a choice between the fake Republicans called Democrats and the real Republicans called Republicans, why buy a fake when the real thing’s better and costs less? They vote for the real thing.
- After the mid-term shellacking, the Democrats conclude (Again!) that they didn’t act like Republicans enough, so they bring in (((fakester))) Republicans pretending to Democrats like (((Tricky Dicky Morris))), triangulate away trying to split the difference between good and evil by acting evil half the time (!), thereby making their own people hate their guts, while the Republicans just keep hating them anyway.
- The Republicans see how the Democrats nicened up some awful Republican idea and complain about policy plagiarism, then, because they must always be to the right of the Democrats, move the Overton Window to the right again. The things that were so horrible one could not speak of them in public before are now normalized, we’ve left Reality and entered the Matrix again. Insanity and evil become normalized and we think they’re sane and good. We tell ourselves we were being gaslit before and we came to our senses.
- Rinse. Repeat. Steal another election. Rinse. Repeat. Have another drink. Etc.